This orange barbecue pulled pork sandwich is full of orange flavor, using both orange juice and orange zest. It is also easy to make in your slow cooker/crockpot.
PREP TIME: 10 minutes
COOK TIME: 6 hours
TOTAL TIME: 6 hours 10 minutes
- 4 lb boneless pork butt roast
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1 cup orange juice, freshly squeezed preferred
- 6 oz tomato paste
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 3 TBS honey
- 3 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 ½ tsp chile powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp molasses
- 8 kaiser rolls
- Trim off the large chunks of fat from roast and season with 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper.
- Place pork roast in a 6-quart slow-cooker with onion slices.
- In medium-sized bowl whisk together orange juice, tomato paste, cider vinegar, honey, worcestershire sauce, ½ tsp salt, paprika, orange zest, garlic cloves, chile powder, cumin, onion powder and molasses.
- Pour barbecue sauce over the pork roast and cover the slow-cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 5 hours.
- For the last hour, remove the roast from the slow-cooker.
- Use two forks or your fingers to pull pork apart until the entire roast is shredded. Discard any excess fat.
- Return shredded pork to the slow-cooker and continue cooking for one hour.
- Place pulled pork into serving dish and mix in with some of the juices from the slow-cooker.
- Serve with kaiser rolls.
- You can also smoke the pork roast over the grill and serve with this orange barbecue sauce.
Be sure to check out our Meat Rakes for this recipe!
* This recipe was first published on: